There is a paucity of research literature related to occupational therapy in the specialised field of PICU, and a lack of information relating to occupational therapists’ needs, challenges or what constitutes good practice. To address this and increase knowledge of the scope and practice of occupational therapy in PICU and low secure services, NAPICU has developed a National PICU OT Network.
The network aims to enable occupational therapists to learn about the supportive opportunities provided by NAPICU and develop valuable practice and research links to achieve the Network’s aims:
- Share good practice and service development initiatives
- Develop knowledge of the role and contribution of occupational therapy in PICU and Low Secure services
- Explore the evidence-base for occupational therapy intervention
- Promote staff support
A successful and ongoing project by the network is the production of Practice issues and guidance on delivering and managing occupational therapy and activity-based intervention in PICUs in the context of Covid-19
Members have the opportunity to network on various topics in monthly Zoom meetings, and receive monthly updates on issues relevant to the network. Various projects are underway to benefit its members and PICU services as a whole. Read more in our Introduction to the National PICU OT Network
Who can join the network? Occupational therapists and occupational therapy support workers who are NAPICU members* – you can take out personal membership, or you are automatically a member if your service has ward membership. Check for ward membership here. You can obtain your ward membership website login from your ward manager or ward administrator.
*At this early stage of the network’s development, we are not inviting Engagement, Activity and Physical Health Practitioners, activity co-ordinators, therapeutic activity nurses, engagement co-ordinators, life skill recovery workers, social therapists or similar to join the network, but we do want to hear from you if you have a need and interest in networking as there may be scope to create such opportunities. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Events & Projects
Zoom Network Meetings
- Thursday 1st October 2020 1 pm – 2 pm*
- Tuesday 27th October 2020 1 pm – 2 pm*
- Tuesday 24th November 2020 1 pm – 2 pm*
*To register for these please contact the admin office
Occupational therapy assessments and outcome measures in PICUs.
Monday 14th December 2020
Free for members, non-members will be £75
- Thursday 24th September 2020 – 2 pm – 4 pm
- Thursday 29th October 2020 – 2 pm – 4 pm
- Thursday 26th November 2020 – 2 pm – 4 pm
- Thursday 28th January 2020 – 2 pm – 4 pm
Wednesday 16th September 2020 4 pm – 6 pm
Wednesday 22nd September 2021 – Friday 24th September 2021
Current projects in progress
- National survey of PICU occupational therapy – research proposal in progress,
- Training modules to support the professional development of new and experienced occupational therapists and OT support workers in PICUs.
Direct enquiries and any specific training requests to the network lead, Wendy Sherwood
What can I get involved in?
Writing for publication
Supporting activity support workers
CAMHS occupational therapy network
Occupational therapy promotional videos
For information on anything on this page in relation to the NAPICU Occupational Therapy Network contact